Crazy winters and wet summers can wreak havoc on your home’s siding, causing damage and warping that weakens the integrity of the material. In a previous blog, we discussed five signs of siding damage to watch for. If you notice any of these signs, it may be time to replace the siding. At Urban Siding, we work with a wide array of siding materials and want to help you make the right choice for your home. Here’s a brief overview of the types of siding we work with:
Vinyl is a great material for those looking for minimal maintenance and incredible durability. This material comes in a variety of different colors, is dent resistant, and does not require routine painting to maintain its appearance.
Wood Siding and Cedar Shakes
A favorite among Craftsman style homes, this siding provides a natural, classic look that is incredibly durable and offers fantastic insulating properties. Wood is easily stained or painted to achieve the look you’re going for.
Like vinyl siding, aluminum siding resists corrosion due to water damage or moisture. Additionally, it is resistant to pests and will not fall prey to termite damage. Aluminum also offers excellent insulation against heat loss in the winter, making it a fantastic choice for your Airdrie home.
Composite siding is made a combination of materials to create a durable and versatile siding option. Depending on your home, Urban Siding can help you determine which type of composite siding will work best for your structure. As with the other options, composite siding comes in a variety of colors and finishes.
If you have questions about your home’s siding, or believe it’s time to replace your old siding, send us a message today. Urban Siding offers free on-site estimates for your Airdrie home.
Your home’s siding is your main protection against the elements. Any weak points in the material allow moisture to become trapped inside the sheetrock and frame, causing damage to your home’s structure and interior. When damage gets too bad, you’ll notice problems inside your home, but how do you recognize the early signs of damage to your siding? Here are six of the most common signs to watch out for.
- Aging: The signs of aging siding will vary depending on the type of material used. Wood may warp due to heat and moisture while vinyl may show signs of warping due to sun damage. Constant exposure to changing weather and conditions will eventually cause damage to your siding.
- Mold and Rot: Damaged siding is no longer effective at keeping moisture out of the interior of your home. When this happens, you may notice mold on your walls or a pervasive, musty smell throughout your home. If this happens, call your contractor. The mold and rot can affect the integrity of your home’s framing.
- Water Stains: Water stains on your siding will appear as discolored spots or streaking along the panels. These stains are caused by water entering the siding and becoming trapped between the siding and the drywall.
- Rusted or Missing Nails: When your siding was installed, your contractor used nails to fix the panels in place. When nails go missing, the siding becomes vulnerable to wind and can easily fall off the structure. If nails are rusted, it signifies that moisture has seeped into the siding. Over time, these nails can leave rust stains on the siding.
- Pests: While vinyl and aluminum siding are not affected by termites, wood siding can easily be destroyed by the insects. If you see signs of termite damage or hear sounds of rodents in your walls, there may be a weak point in the siding where they’re entering. Look for holes or loose siding panels and call your contractor.
If you see any of these signs in your siding, contact the experts at Urban Siding. We’re the top rated local siding company in Airdrie.